Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I am stricken with a severe cold. This is day five.
Things are going decently. I'm bragging about me getting over 100% on my first stats exam now. One of the questions and set of answers was worded poorly so everyone got two points for that, and since that's the only multiple choice question I missed and I got extra credit, I ended up doing really well. So yay. We're doing probability stuff now, which I'm not exactly skilled at, so this first exam score will serve as a nice buffer for future failures.

Wednesday Matt and I saw the Decemberists at the Crystal Ballroom. It was amazing. Here's what was bad: my severe sore throat, obviously underage drunk people dancing and carrying on right in front of us: the guy was like: "everyone here's so serious (serious face impression here). We're the only ones having any fun." My mental response: "yeah, it seems that way because you're making the environment miserable for everyone you can see to pass judgement on." It was super annoying. Now I know what Becky meant when talking about DMB. They kept elbowing me and shoving their hair in my face while "dancing." They were swaying and having a grand time singing along to The Island part 3. Ok, the guy just raped and murdered a girl and now he's placing coins over her dead eyes and dumping her body into the ocean. GREAT. Real choice song for dancing drunkenly to.

Here's what was good: The entire show, including the crazy opening band: "We're Lavender Diamond and so are you!" "Congratulations on peace coming to planet Earth!" And the lead singer's story about a cat destroying her air mattress while she's trying to sleep and how getting up to get a glass of water made everything peachy and the cat all compliant. She was like "usually I don't have a problem with shit getting destroyed, except the Earth." I actually liked their music but either she's drunk, on something, or just a tad bit crazy.
Here is the set list of the Decemberists:
The Crane Wife 3 (pretty much my favorite song from their new album)
The Island
We Both Go Down Together
Engine Driver
O Valencia!
Perfect Crime #2
Shankill Butchers
Yankee Bayonet
Culling of the Fold
My Mother was a Chinese Trapeze Artist
Odalisque
The Crane Wife 1 & 2
Sons and Daughters (second most favorite song)
Encore:
16 Military Wives
Legionaire's Lament (I really like the way he sings "Cafe bars")
A Cautionary Song

Good show. Matt Savino, another fan of the Decemberists, went with us. My Matt and I got t-shirts after the show. I got one with what appears to be a roe deer on it (now I have three band shirts with animals - amazing). So Matt S. wore his Decemberists shirt and by the end of the night we were all wearing different Decemberists shirts. We went to Shari's somewhere on the way back and didn't get home until 3.

I guess I should get back to doing something constructive now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home