I am back to drizzling Corvallis after a wonderful long weekend at home. It was filled with many delectable foods. I pretty much ate a bunch. I'm pretty sure I went over my RDA for fat and sugar every day home. But then we also hiked a lot.
Wednesday traffic was pretty much hell. It took me approximately 4.75 hours to get home. It usually takes around 3. YEAH. It was like that movie Falling Down except I didn't technically go insane and end up dying. Luckily Becky had made an amazing dinner - a lentil and vegetable quagmire with freshly cooked acorn squash. It was amazing. I eat far too many carb items at college and never get enough veggies in! I can't really remember what we did that night.
Thursday Becky and I went on a hike on the logging road. It was raining and we decided to head back through the woods instead of going back on the trail, so we got quite soaked from all the drippy branches. I've decided I shouldn't head down at the really good viewpoint on the logging road, because no matter how much one veers to one side, one always ends up in the thicket. Which is not good because there are lots of eye poking branches and few good vantage points. We listened to some Decemberists as we prepared an early dinner. We had about a 80% organic Thanksgiving. Green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffin', rolls - amazing french dinner rolls from Rosauers!, turkey, can-shaped cranberry sauce. It was incredible. We lazed about for a while after that before consuming dessert. We went to Scott and Linda's and were entertained by McKenzie's telephone game. She's whisper a random phrase or word and we'd have to pass it along. She said some typical things like "Earring," "Dancing Princess," and "eyelash," and then said "pony in the fire." That was rather odd. She did have a My Little Pony sitting on the table in front of the wood fire place though.
Friday mom and Becky and I hiked a bit around Gilhouley in the pouring rain. It was super muddy. Becky and I got to see a deer that bounded across the road about 60 feet ahead of us. We came to a fork in the road and sat to ate. We decided that like all true Americans, when faced with a decision, we'll usually just sit down and eat, then probably turn back. Nothing like pumpkin pie with cream cheese and buttery pecans after a good strenuous hike.
Saturday we all went seeking snow on lost lake road. There was a honda civic in the process of blocking traffic up there, luckily we got around it without getting stuck. We parked by a random side road and proceeded to walk in the snow. It was pretty. Recently someone had been up there maintained a channel for excess water so there channels keeping the water from cascading over the road - very beautiful because there were ferns and moss underwater. It reminded me of a tidepool. We walked a mile or so and turned back and Tim got to talking with some other people up there. Eventually we made it back home and, after a thorough "going into town" preparation, Becky and I set out for Hood River to meet Jessika and Audrey for coffee. We stayed at Dog River for a couple hours and then went to Rosauers to purchase birthday gifts for mum. We then met mum and Tim at the Mesquitery where I got my usual fettuccine de-light and dinner salad. Amazing, as usual. We played two games of Yahtzee when we got home. I came in third both times. I did get a Yahtzee once.
Today we woke up to about half a foot of snow. We had waffles and watched a Yellowstone Christmas special on OPB. Otters are adorable. Driving back it was quite rainy. Since then not much has occurred. I have done some more statistics problems. Woohoo. So glad it's almost a big break! I have decided on classes for next term, definitively: global crises in resource ecology (more depressing news for the natural world), statistcal methods part 2 (yay hypotheses!), predator ecology and management (this actually sounds awesome), intro to and investigations in population dynamics (involves some math, therefore not enthused).
Wednesday traffic was pretty much hell. It took me approximately 4.75 hours to get home. It usually takes around 3. YEAH. It was like that movie Falling Down except I didn't technically go insane and end up dying. Luckily Becky had made an amazing dinner - a lentil and vegetable quagmire with freshly cooked acorn squash. It was amazing. I eat far too many carb items at college and never get enough veggies in! I can't really remember what we did that night.
Thursday Becky and I went on a hike on the logging road. It was raining and we decided to head back through the woods instead of going back on the trail, so we got quite soaked from all the drippy branches. I've decided I shouldn't head down at the really good viewpoint on the logging road, because no matter how much one veers to one side, one always ends up in the thicket. Which is not good because there are lots of eye poking branches and few good vantage points. We listened to some Decemberists as we prepared an early dinner. We had about a 80% organic Thanksgiving. Green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffin', rolls - amazing french dinner rolls from Rosauers!, turkey, can-shaped cranberry sauce. It was incredible. We lazed about for a while after that before consuming dessert. We went to Scott and Linda's and were entertained by McKenzie's telephone game. She's whisper a random phrase or word and we'd have to pass it along. She said some typical things like "Earring," "Dancing Princess," and "eyelash," and then said "pony in the fire." That was rather odd. She did have a My Little Pony sitting on the table in front of the wood fire place though.
Friday mom and Becky and I hiked a bit around Gilhouley in the pouring rain. It was super muddy. Becky and I got to see a deer that bounded across the road about 60 feet ahead of us. We came to a fork in the road and sat to ate. We decided that like all true Americans, when faced with a decision, we'll usually just sit down and eat, then probably turn back. Nothing like pumpkin pie with cream cheese and buttery pecans after a good strenuous hike.
Saturday we all went seeking snow on lost lake road. There was a honda civic in the process of blocking traffic up there, luckily we got around it without getting stuck. We parked by a random side road and proceeded to walk in the snow. It was pretty. Recently someone had been up there maintained a channel for excess water so there channels keeping the water from cascading over the road - very beautiful because there were ferns and moss underwater. It reminded me of a tidepool. We walked a mile or so and turned back and Tim got to talking with some other people up there. Eventually we made it back home and, after a thorough "going into town" preparation, Becky and I set out for Hood River to meet Jessika and Audrey for coffee. We stayed at Dog River for a couple hours and then went to Rosauers to purchase birthday gifts for mum. We then met mum and Tim at the Mesquitery where I got my usual fettuccine de-light and dinner salad. Amazing, as usual. We played two games of Yahtzee when we got home. I came in third both times. I did get a Yahtzee once.
Today we woke up to about half a foot of snow. We had waffles and watched a Yellowstone Christmas special on OPB. Otters are adorable. Driving back it was quite rainy. Since then not much has occurred. I have done some more statistics problems. Woohoo. So glad it's almost a big break! I have decided on classes for next term, definitively: global crises in resource ecology (more depressing news for the natural world), statistcal methods part 2 (yay hypotheses!), predator ecology and management (this actually sounds awesome), intro to and investigations in population dynamics (involves some math, therefore not enthused).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home