I know it's been a ridiculously long time since I've updated. Nothing major has occurred in my life, but I have taken some tests and gotten too cold while walking outside.
Last week I had my second statistics midterm Tuesday evening. I had my second ecology exam the morning after that, and in between, despite the fact that I was feeling pretty confident about ecology, no sleep was obtained. That pretty much was no fun. I was really run down the next day, but couldn't nap. It was rather odd too because I stayed up past midnight that night and wasn't excruciatingly tired even up to that point. I did well on my stats exam and tomorrow I finally get my ecology test back. I suppose I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to do well on the ecology exam because if I'm happy with my grade after the two exams I don't have to take the final, since our prof. modified the grading system after finding that everyone did super poorly on the first test.
Yesterday night was another session of little sleep. I became frustrated with stats homework I didn't understand and couldn't fall asleep. I'll put part of the blame on Simon and Garfunkle too because I had "Homeward Bound" stuck in my head for the two hours I sat in bed. I explain this by my ipod which is usually glued to my head while walking to and from classes and I'd heard the song that day and got to thinking that I'd like to be home instead of here on this terribly rainy, windy, cold, depressing campus stuck in a house with 54 women. I called Matt. He was my shoulder to cry on and source of Benadryl. I really don't like the idea of taking something for allergies which I don't have just for the drowsy side-effect, but I did it because I was really not wanting to be a zombie today. So, I ended up getting sleep but missing the video editing session that Joy set up for 8:00 am. I just emailed her, cause I knew if I finally got to sleep around 4 I didn't want to be getting up in three hours.
In happy news, our video project is going really well. Yesterday evening we spent two hours cropping and putting the clips together and had it under six minutes, which is a good sign. It's chronic wasting disease in a nutshell. I got some spectacular shots from old "home video" I took of the fat mule deer at Wallowa Lake. There's one shot of a buck licking its chops as it approaches our car. I thought it'd be a good demonstration of artificial feeding areas (high risk sites for disease transmission!). Also in good news, I'm understanding statistics better as I went to my prof's office hours this morning and got some better explanation of a couple problem problems.
This thursday is the FW Club meeting with Ketch-Um Wildlife Control operator Bob Gilman. He's going to show us the tricks of the trapping trade and then saturday will take us out to various sites to look at beaver, bear, and mountain beaver damage. Should be pretty cool and educational. This will be our last club meeting of the year besides our bowling/pizza gathering! Crazy. And then there's next term to plan! I do like being on leadership, but sometimes it's a hassle putting things together. Our new spring break plan is the Sonoran Desert and Sea of Cortez.
I talked to a girl that went on the CCF internship last year and she had a great time. She showed me some photos and a video clip of one of the young cheetahs hissing at its reflection in a car and then actually pouncing at the car. It was adorable! I do want to get a new camera before I go (if I get in) but can't decide if I should jump to a digital SLR or just get a high end compact digital. I really know absolutely nothing about SLRs, and I'd probably spend about $800..I could just get a lesser camera for 4 or 500 and then save money for a video camera. We shall see. I'm indecisive.
Ooo, in other fun news I finally got a threadless tee, "mesozoic medical mirth." It's a bunch of people doctoring up a dinosaur (T-rex). One of them is placing a dinosaur bandaid on its side. It's cute. Also I got the ultra super cool collector's edition of Clockwork Orange on DVD (with soundtrack). It's nifty. CONSUME!
Last week I had my second statistics midterm Tuesday evening. I had my second ecology exam the morning after that, and in between, despite the fact that I was feeling pretty confident about ecology, no sleep was obtained. That pretty much was no fun. I was really run down the next day, but couldn't nap. It was rather odd too because I stayed up past midnight that night and wasn't excruciatingly tired even up to that point. I did well on my stats exam and tomorrow I finally get my ecology test back. I suppose I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to do well on the ecology exam because if I'm happy with my grade after the two exams I don't have to take the final, since our prof. modified the grading system after finding that everyone did super poorly on the first test.
Yesterday night was another session of little sleep. I became frustrated with stats homework I didn't understand and couldn't fall asleep. I'll put part of the blame on Simon and Garfunkle too because I had "Homeward Bound" stuck in my head for the two hours I sat in bed. I explain this by my ipod which is usually glued to my head while walking to and from classes and I'd heard the song that day and got to thinking that I'd like to be home instead of here on this terribly rainy, windy, cold, depressing campus stuck in a house with 54 women. I called Matt. He was my shoulder to cry on and source of Benadryl. I really don't like the idea of taking something for allergies which I don't have just for the drowsy side-effect, but I did it because I was really not wanting to be a zombie today. So, I ended up getting sleep but missing the video editing session that Joy set up for 8:00 am. I just emailed her, cause I knew if I finally got to sleep around 4 I didn't want to be getting up in three hours.
In happy news, our video project is going really well. Yesterday evening we spent two hours cropping and putting the clips together and had it under six minutes, which is a good sign. It's chronic wasting disease in a nutshell. I got some spectacular shots from old "home video" I took of the fat mule deer at Wallowa Lake. There's one shot of a buck licking its chops as it approaches our car. I thought it'd be a good demonstration of artificial feeding areas (high risk sites for disease transmission!). Also in good news, I'm understanding statistics better as I went to my prof's office hours this morning and got some better explanation of a couple problem problems.
This thursday is the FW Club meeting with Ketch-Um Wildlife Control operator Bob Gilman. He's going to show us the tricks of the trapping trade and then saturday will take us out to various sites to look at beaver, bear, and mountain beaver damage. Should be pretty cool and educational. This will be our last club meeting of the year besides our bowling/pizza gathering! Crazy. And then there's next term to plan! I do like being on leadership, but sometimes it's a hassle putting things together. Our new spring break plan is the Sonoran Desert and Sea of Cortez.
I talked to a girl that went on the CCF internship last year and she had a great time. She showed me some photos and a video clip of one of the young cheetahs hissing at its reflection in a car and then actually pouncing at the car. It was adorable! I do want to get a new camera before I go (if I get in) but can't decide if I should jump to a digital SLR or just get a high end compact digital. I really know absolutely nothing about SLRs, and I'd probably spend about $800..I could just get a lesser camera for 4 or 500 and then save money for a video camera. We shall see. I'm indecisive.
Ooo, in other fun news I finally got a threadless tee, "mesozoic medical mirth." It's a bunch of people doctoring up a dinosaur (T-rex). One of them is placing a dinosaur bandaid on its side. It's cute. Also I got the ultra super cool collector's edition of Clockwork Orange on DVD (with soundtrack). It's nifty. CONSUME!


1 Comments:
At 7:32 PM ,
Anonymous said...
There are some great, affordable SLR's out there! For example, the Nikon D50 is basically the same as the much more expensive models. They start up in a fraction of a second, and take shots as fast as you can push the button! I can't wait until I can justify/afford one.
Post a Comment
<< Home