Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Today was interesting. I didn't get enough sleep, so dragged myself out of bed and checked blackboard, but class was in session this time. So I got a cappucino and settled down to watch the rest of Affluenza and talk about the treadmill of consumption.

I went to the library to copy some essays for my ecofeminism zine. I then went home for a while, had lunch, and headed back to campus for the Research Advances in F&W Ecology talks. I heard five talks, all of which were intriguing. The first one was presented by Bob Beschta, who came to one of our F&W club meetings to talk about top-down effects on the ecosystem brought about by Yellowstone wolves. This talk was on the research he did in Zion Nat'l Park - it seems that cougar are having a similar impact, because when they're scarce or absent, the deer population isn't kept in check and their herbivorous habits exclude some species. Interesting stuff. Who knew cougars could be a factor in combating erosion on stream banks? Not I. I also heard about the whitetail deer population explosion and their methane production, the pygmy rabbit decline, predators and blacktails in Alaska, and West Nile in birds. All good talks, and only 15-20 minutes each so manageable to absorb.

I headed back to the bus station and settled down to wait with my big game notes. At first I had my headphones in, so this guy on a bike that rode past looking like he wanted to inquire about something didn't stop. But then I wanted to focus on the latin names of native ungulates so turned off the music, and he came over to ask for a signature about frivolous lawsuits. I was in the process of signing when I informed him I was registered in HR County, so he didn't have a sheet for out-of-county voters. At first he had asked me if I was registered to vote, and then he was surprised that I was even 18. Then he threw out a ridiculous pick up line/compliment. He left and a couple minutes later rode back and asked if I wanted to go out for coffee. I'm like "what the heck," so I had a phytolicious green tea thingy at Starbucks (actually it was kinda on the icky side) and he talked about this theory that there's a group of people out there that want 90% of the world's population dead (hard to believe given the world revolves around money and GDP goes up every time a family divorces and creates another household to consume stuff) and hidden cameras in the UK and face recognition technology and the disappearance of bees. Great........(sarcasm).

Anywho, thus are my adventures.

The latin name of the caribou is Rangifer tarandus, and they prefer a late successional stage of vegetation/a stable climax habitat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home