Corvallis Living
I've been without internet for the past 3 weeks or so. I have missed facebook and petfinder, sadly. So I'm home for a night after spending most of my January in Corvallis with Tony. I've begun to legitimately pay for my keep though in the new house we're in, and OSU is currently in the process of paperworking to hire me to assist a grad student in lab work. So Tony and I and roommate James are renting what used to be an office, which was totally unfurnished. Thus I am home to glean free household goods - mum's used vacuum, my plastic clothes dresser, laundry basket, etc. - as well as a 10 gallon aquarium with wire top and related supplies for the anticipated pair of gerbils. I can't have a dog, which is what I really want, and a cat is too much of a long-term commitment. It's kind of silly really. I hope they don't develop an inferiority complex. Anywho, gerbils are pretty much the only commonly available small pet that I haven't had yet, so I figure I'll give it a try. Plus they are reminiscent of kangaroo rats, and supposedly diurnal.
I haven't really done a whole lot lately, what with being unemployed and all. I am slowly making my way through a math practice packet since I want to take the GRE (eventually). In fact I've employed Matt to help me with math three times to date, payment being made in whatever suits his fancy at our favorite coffee shop. I hung out with him and his old roommate and friend from Avery Lodge the other day for a trip to the brewery supply shop, so that was fun. Saw Paul, who is now a grad student in political science - darn Republican. The main highlight was a trip to Lincoln City for a weekend. The weather was beautiful! Nicer than most summer days at the coast for sure, not a cloud in sight. We hiked Cascade Head with the local watershed council and one of Tony's co-workers from the forest service to discover elusive lichens. Saw lots of elk sign, what appeared to be a bear scratching on a tree, and saw one deer. We stayed over at Tony's friend's place. She had about 15 chickens, which were tame enough to tolerate handling, and an adorable tubby manx calico. We ate at an excellent Thai restaurant with one of the artists-in-residence at the ecological center, where I had bubble tea, which is odd but overall pretty good. Tony and I hiked up the trail from Road's End to discover an amazing hill overlooking the ocean and city. Gorgeous views but very windy.
I've been without internet for the past 3 weeks or so. I have missed facebook and petfinder, sadly. So I'm home for a night after spending most of my January in Corvallis with Tony. I've begun to legitimately pay for my keep though in the new house we're in, and OSU is currently in the process of paperworking to hire me to assist a grad student in lab work. So Tony and I and roommate James are renting what used to be an office, which was totally unfurnished. Thus I am home to glean free household goods - mum's used vacuum, my plastic clothes dresser, laundry basket, etc. - as well as a 10 gallon aquarium with wire top and related supplies for the anticipated pair of gerbils. I can't have a dog, which is what I really want, and a cat is too much of a long-term commitment. It's kind of silly really. I hope they don't develop an inferiority complex. Anywho, gerbils are pretty much the only commonly available small pet that I haven't had yet, so I figure I'll give it a try. Plus they are reminiscent of kangaroo rats, and supposedly diurnal.
I haven't really done a whole lot lately, what with being unemployed and all. I am slowly making my way through a math practice packet since I want to take the GRE (eventually). In fact I've employed Matt to help me with math three times to date, payment being made in whatever suits his fancy at our favorite coffee shop. I hung out with him and his old roommate and friend from Avery Lodge the other day for a trip to the brewery supply shop, so that was fun. Saw Paul, who is now a grad student in political science - darn Republican. The main highlight was a trip to Lincoln City for a weekend. The weather was beautiful! Nicer than most summer days at the coast for sure, not a cloud in sight. We hiked Cascade Head with the local watershed council and one of Tony's co-workers from the forest service to discover elusive lichens. Saw lots of elk sign, what appeared to be a bear scratching on a tree, and saw one deer. We stayed over at Tony's friend's place. She had about 15 chickens, which were tame enough to tolerate handling, and an adorable tubby manx calico. We ate at an excellent Thai restaurant with one of the artists-in-residence at the ecological center, where I had bubble tea, which is odd but overall pretty good. Tony and I hiked up the trail from Road's End to discover an amazing hill overlooking the ocean and city. Gorgeous views but very windy.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home