So it's been awhile...
I started my job last Monday. The work is tedious and boring as I predicted it would be, and it actually makes me miss my days at the experiment station when I actually had LIVE bugs in my samples. The deal is there are 250 ziploc bags containing vacuum samples (mostly leaf litter and soil) taken from the Zumwalt Prairie back in June '08...which have been stored in a cold room ever since. So the quality isn't exactly spectacular. The specimen integrity leaves much to be desired. Some samples are like rotting wads of compost. So if there is a lesson to be learned from this, it's that one really shouldn't wait till next year to sort samples cause it's going to be WAY more difficult. But hey, paid work in a shitty economic period!
Yesterday I took the GRE, the quantitative section of which I did completely deplorably on. I practiced problems for over a month, and felt like my algebra and geometry skills had improved, but I still can't do well when I have a time limit of 30 minutes for 28 problems. I guess when you consider the pool of people taking it (primarily people in possession of a bachelors degree) it isn't TOO depressing, but it's still really freaking bad. The good news is that OSU only requires a combined score (verbal + quantitative) of 1000. I'm completely unbalanced in skill areas but I still pass the test.
We had a great party here on Friday the 13th. It actually qualifies as a legit stereotypical college party - because we had two bands and a keg. Throughout the evening I estimate we had about 80 guests, so it was rather crazy. We bought 100 plastic cups and they all must have disappeared before it ended though since people ended up emptying our cupboards of pint glasses. So maybe more guests...dunno. We ended up with a nice dark wine stain on our TV shelf thingy and a hookah burn on our carpet. Overall, not too bad for damage. It was rather exhausting though cleaning the place up afterwards.
In other random news, last night I had this really weird dream in which I was stung by a scorpion. And pretty much the whole scorpion was still stuck in my hand when I went to the hospital. Weirder still - Tony had a dream with a scorpion in it last night too. Randomness?
I started my job last Monday. The work is tedious and boring as I predicted it would be, and it actually makes me miss my days at the experiment station when I actually had LIVE bugs in my samples. The deal is there are 250 ziploc bags containing vacuum samples (mostly leaf litter and soil) taken from the Zumwalt Prairie back in June '08...which have been stored in a cold room ever since. So the quality isn't exactly spectacular. The specimen integrity leaves much to be desired. Some samples are like rotting wads of compost. So if there is a lesson to be learned from this, it's that one really shouldn't wait till next year to sort samples cause it's going to be WAY more difficult. But hey, paid work in a shitty economic period!
Yesterday I took the GRE, the quantitative section of which I did completely deplorably on. I practiced problems for over a month, and felt like my algebra and geometry skills had improved, but I still can't do well when I have a time limit of 30 minutes for 28 problems. I guess when you consider the pool of people taking it (primarily people in possession of a bachelors degree) it isn't TOO depressing, but it's still really freaking bad. The good news is that OSU only requires a combined score (verbal + quantitative) of 1000. I'm completely unbalanced in skill areas but I still pass the test.
We had a great party here on Friday the 13th. It actually qualifies as a legit stereotypical college party - because we had two bands and a keg. Throughout the evening I estimate we had about 80 guests, so it was rather crazy. We bought 100 plastic cups and they all must have disappeared before it ended though since people ended up emptying our cupboards of pint glasses. So maybe more guests...dunno. We ended up with a nice dark wine stain on our TV shelf thingy and a hookah burn on our carpet. Overall, not too bad for damage. It was rather exhausting though cleaning the place up afterwards.
In other random news, last night I had this really weird dream in which I was stung by a scorpion. And pretty much the whole scorpion was still stuck in my hand when I went to the hospital. Weirder still - Tony had a dream with a scorpion in it last night too. Randomness?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home