Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Today was a stress out, study-while-eating lunch, nervous energy imbued day. First off I started worrying about not being able to find one available parking space when I arrived at school. Now this is highly unusual. No idea why it was totally full..so I circled around and was actually pondering parking in a "no parking" zone, when I finally found one. Don't know how I missed it the first time, 'cause it was right in front, but it was seriously the only available space in the whole lot. I must have looked rather lost and befuddled driving around..there were some people standing outside near the ag. room. I'm sure they were wondering what the heck I was doing.

In government we had a boring review day. The test Thursday will be open note, so it's the least of my worries. I skimmed through all my bio. notes during lunch and then it was off to French. Laura and I convinced Mrs. Jackson to let us study. So after an hour of going over meiosis and DNA replication and such it was time to march to the battlefield. First page concerned making a protein. Well I located the start codon, or what I believed to be the start codon, and then realized that with that pattern there were no stop codons. I moved on and completed everything else the best I could (I didn't do too well in drawing the stages of meiosis) and then during the last fifteen minutes tried once again to figure out the protein thing. Well DeBoarde came back in the last ten minutes (from his med. bio field trip), and started walking around the room. He asked was I figuring it out and I said no, and oh thankfulness, he pointed out an AUG (methionine and the start codon), was the last codon in that chain of bases, just backwards! So I found the first stop and listed the amino acids and I think I got it right. It kind of restored my faith in that class. Like the teacher actually helping me to learn the process rather than being caught up in the whole test situation. Yay.

After school I helped finish up the script for the ag. issues contest. Now the memorization must begin. After Mardi Gras..that's when I can devote time to that endeavor. I think it should be fun though. One, I am familiar with BSE and care about the issue, two, it's not in French and should be easier to memorize.

What a boring old blog! I need to go hunt down a man-killing great white shark, go on a hot date with Mr. Tross, or find some other welcome distraction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home