Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Classes start tomorrow..my first class is math, followed by principles of conservation, and then I'll have an hour gap before geology.
Today I went to Newport with other first year fisheries/wildlife students and our advisers. We went to the marine science center, had a slideshow presentation (molluscan!) and then small tour of clownfish and aquaculture tanks. Also saw an octopus that is being readied for release ("tentacles are marvelous things" informed the printed guide below the tank). After that we observed a few uncaptive sea slugs and got on a discovery boat for a two hour tour. I got intimidated by the "take your motion sickness remedies now, 'cause they won't do any good when you're puking!" comment. So I took a dramamine, even though I probably didn't need to. It was a bit unsteady taking off, kinda hard to stay standing. But once we got going it wasn't bad, and the weather was really nice, and calm. We saw some California sea lions (and I now know the ones we saw in Astoria were Northern (also called Steller) sea lions), and harbor porpoises. Lots of 'gulls and pelicans, and cormorants. And a sunfish came floating by! Picture a tin foil covered dinner plate with an eye and a fin. That's basically a sunfish. I didn't have time to take a photo before it drifted beneath the boat though. I was disappointed to see no albatross, because apparently they're out there. Our tour leader tossed two crab nets out and when we got back into the bay they were hauled up. Only one, but it was a legal size Dungeness. Also caught plankton and viewed on a TV connected to a microscope.

Then to the lighthouse, and a quick tidepool/beach visit. So the beach is actually only an hour's drive from campus.

Got back, felt a little like I might be becoming ill with an elevated temperature, but then figured it was probably just the sunburn I obtained. I don't understand why I'm so careless, even after the beatmyter released disaster! And I have sun screen here in my room..I just don't think to use it. Ate, then had job pick. Room numbers were called randomly and then those people got to choose cleaning duties. Joanna finally came by with the box of stuff! Yearbook, comforter, and missed clothes..good. So my number was one of the last to be called for the first round (the big jobs). But I ended up getting Thursday dinner dishes, which will be shared with two other people. Not bad. And Thursday I only have one class too. Then I signed up for weekend dinner cook and cleaning, which will be the end of October. Then had to wait again for my lesser job. Chose to clean the sleeping porch on Thursday. So that shouldn't be that big of a deal. And I'll get all my un class-related stuff out of the way all at once.

Well, I hope I don't hate my classes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home