Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Day was comprised of laundry, studying, and cooking. Fairly dull. Reviewing notes is so excruciating!

Last night Jasmine and I made paper snowflakes. Woohoo for Friday nights! Yeah, we really go crazy..anyway they turned out pretty good. We taped three to our door and two to our window. Our door was downright ugly. But now we've got the snowflakes, blackboard, and double albatross. There was this little tacky sign obviously made in a hurry employing clashing highlighters and blue ink right above our doorknob that inquired, "Is the door locked?" The ambiguity of that statement never fails to startle me. Well...more importantly, should it be? But I guess it's a prompt that could lead to either unlocking or locking. So the message was sound, but it looked horrible. I had a water-damaged photo of the albatross so I cut out a bubble and wrote that in it and pasted it over the water damaged spot. It's far greater. We also drew the "bee positive" from oddtodd on our board to encourage people to de-stress in this time of turmoil.

So Joy and this other girl (shoot, I still don't know everyone's name!), and I cooked breakfast for dinner. I was in charge of sausages. Think of your typical sausage grilling experience and magnify it to include roughly 50 sausages. That's a hell of a lot of splattering grease. Downright dangerous. In addition sausages are not open books. One can't exactly determine with precision and accuracy whether post-consumption days will result in illness from some horrible food poisoning like trichinosis. Atleast it's not as apparent as cutting open a hamburger. They may look done on the outside but that could merely result from near-scorching for a few minutes. So these were thoroughly fried for well beyond the suggested 10-12 minutes. Luckily sausages are basically burn retardant as well. This other girl made scrambled eggs with cheese, and French toast..yeah, a little more advanced. I stated from the start that I had little experience..Joy was in charge of the bacon and she also made egg nog. The recipe did include eggs and called for cooking, and I don't know exactly why she didn't go along with that, but the end product of the first attempt was a 'nog'splosion in the microwave.

So since consumption of egg nog is voluntary, she did without any form of heat and just sent the ingredients on a trip around the blender. I eat cookie dough and brownie batter, but that was just a tad too much for me. A sugar shortage limited the production to one small pitcher. I'll rely on the cheerful yellow and print-decorated half-gallons that can be bought.

Tomorrow: math study with Melissa at 2, last conservation study group at 7. And must motivate myself to study independently more as well. Oo, conservation prof. told us last night that a moose, assuming from Idaho, wandered into downtown La Grande recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home