Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Why does room 7 have to be the halfway house (kinda-more like transitional room)!? First Rachel moved from here to Heather's room, Alexis moved in, and now she's moving to Joy's room, and we're getting a different roommate next term. It's getting ridiculous. Once I finally have a chance to get accustomed to someone, they move out and the readjusting phase must begin again. I'm sure it'll be ok; maybe I'm just resistant to change for the want of maintaining the status quo and don't even know why.

Today was my last art class before the final. No big deal..I suppose it's good to have too little time to become attached to a class and feel sad about leaving it; taking art for four years at the high school and then suddenly leaving was certainly monumental.

In other news, I have my geology project totally completed. Had to throw in something last minute about the painted hills. I never fail to print something out and then find something I feel must be added. We're getting pizza tomorrow in that class. I wonder what sort of food analogy he can concoct? Hopefully nothing involving pepperoni slices in lieu of tectonic plates.

Went to the first conservation study session tonight. Another student had gotten a copy of Salmon Without Rivers with missing pages, and she returned it to the bookstore just recently and they gave her a brand new copy! So hopefully they'll do the same for me.

One of the major questions of the evening concerned the graph he asked us to think about last time. Just an empty plane with loss of ecosystem functioning on the x axis and % of species lost on the y.
Someone hypothesized the possible curves for it and it certainly was looking like we wouldn't get a definite answer out of him. One of the curves was basically what I had hypothesized after last class, and was hoping that my thinking was logical.
About a half hour of the whole thing was taken up by someone who thought that there would be more of a change than a loss; like if species are taken away then change in the system occurs. But the professor is thinking large-scale, continual extinctions which would actually cause a collapse in the functioning of the entire system. Everyone was getting pretty frustrated but it was almost amusing nontheless.
Eventually the three possible curves were scrutinized and thank goodness my thinking wasn't totally messed up; the one I'd drawn looked darn close to the final correct product. Pretty cool. I have soo much studying to do for that class though.

I had missed the cookie decorating party, and when I got back a bunch of guys from Beaver were here, totally didn't realize that another house was invited. They brought us a real Christmas tree! And, oddly and amusingly enough, photographic portraits of themselves as ornaments. Jasmine had got a plate of cookies and frosting for me! Sugar cookies..mmm. The frosting was freaking rich though. Like I think there might have even been some cream cheese in it. But it was pretty, and spreadable, and bearable in moderate quantity atop cookie.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home