Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Several inches of snow present this morning! Still some. Oh, the Jacksons cancelled. Mild bummer.

Today Andrew, Beck, and I went to Portland for a zoological park/shopping/eating extravaganza. We opted to skip the zoo light thing in favor of actually being able to see the real animals so went there first. We saw a nice abundance of animals. Ring tailed lemurs, an Amur leopard, a sun bear (a cute little bear with claws the size of a Kodiak's), mountain goats, some pudgy looking zebras, a jazzercizing (or OCD bound) polar bear, even a gerenuk! I took an excessive number of photos I soon shall transfer to my computer. Since we did not leave the house until 10, we got out of the zoo a tad bit late, around 3.

I had arranged to meet Alex at Powell's to give him a cougar attack book and various other items. While I was waiting a guy tried to sell Street Roots and I got a few second glances for the muskrat pelt in the bag. We talked about the zoo and Portland and an indecipherable piece of art someone was messing with across the street, and whatnot. He gave me a copy of Almost Rare. (Thanks Alex!) It's definitely a good thing I didn't even go in to Powell's except to purchase an Odwalla. I need textbooks, and as much as I'd love to get that new David Sedaris collection, I should probably hold out for the paperback edition.

Becky and I went to Buffalo Exchange which was surprisingly..surprising. Not too overpriced. Due to the parking situation, we had 15 minutes. In that time I rushed to find something to try on and ended up with three pairs of jeans! Right on. I definitely needed new ones. Becky got the ultimate pair of jeans with nifty little stripes and buttons on the back pocket. They fit me too. I'd have to pry them from her cold dead hands though. Shucks. Afterwards we went to a small Thai restaurant. This was my first Thai experience and I certainly enjoyed it. Pad thai, beef stir fry, and fried rice. Excellent. And this iced tea that was like half sugar and cream. Oo, I must go back sometime. There happened to be a Goodwill store in close proximity to the restaurant that Andrew wanted to go in, and I found a totally old school (haha) pair of Gap jeans with light colored lines down the front, and some cream colored corduroys. A productive day!

We headed for home around 7:15 and Becky suggested that we stop at Multnomah Falls ("Wouldn't that be romantic?" Oh geeez..let me die now). Be sure that you don't wear a large bright colored backpack while hiking there. The stock could get spooked. They need outdoor lights from the parking lot to the 'fall because it felt like we were going to walk into a large ominous deep and unforgiving pool of water.

Stopped at Dairy Queen for peanut butter cup blizzard, then home. Yeah..not much else to say.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That iced tea is called Thai Iced Tea. It's the most delicious thing I have ever tasted.

    -Robyn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home