Merrie's Blog

Happenings, annoyances, observations, and some photographic documentation

Monday, September 06, 2004

The front of the house has its topcoat finished. We're making good time on this painting. I painted for about 3.5 hours today.
At 5:30 I headed in to get ready for a hike. I hadn't been hiking on the logging road for about two months..that's appalling. I don't exactly feel quite as safe up there without a dog. But random fears aside, it's all too perfect. Rounding the main corner after the pipes on the canal trail, I heard something/s moving in the brush below, and there was a large turkey standing in the trail. I don't care what the hunters say, turkeys are not super sneaky and intelligent. Sure, they may be skittish and paranoid, but this thing just sat there for five seconds clucking. That's plenty of time for me to aim and shoot if I wanted an early Thanksgiving. Then, in a fashion so akin to the velociraptors in Jurassic Park, it fled on legs of steel, not unlike an unstable windmill. So it just ran ahead of me, freaked out, while I casually followed. It kept going on the trail while I turned to cross the bridge. Ridiculous.

It was nice weather. I wasn't expecting to see anything fantastic with hunting season starting though. Lots of ATV tracks and horseshoe prints in the mud, and few animal tracks. I did see a red tailed hawk and a pileated woodpecker (the ones that are the size of flickers or larger, black and white, with large red crests on their heads), and also what appeared to be a smallish falcon. A few lizards and squirrels too. Once I had reached a shadier section it felt like timberline..super intensely cool. It was so nice. Saw some coyote and deer tracks. Two months ago I would have had plenty of time before dusk, but I was still a quarter mile from the trail down when the bats started swooping a tad too close for comfort. Thank goodness I had brought a flashlight.

Got back about 8:30. Nothing else too interesting happening now. Thursday coast trip w/friends though!

Mom quotes..

"This music sounds just like a giant bumblebee."

"I'll fridge it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home